"The Crossfire" 3D printed quadcopter - Part 7 - First Test Flights

Well, here goes!

After being too busy with other stuff to work on this, I finally got this thing in the air. I was very excited to see it lift off the ground. It does have some stability issues, which I think might have to do with the weight of the battery and/or the KK2 settings.

I did a small series of test flights. In doing so, I was able to determine three things:

  1.  These motors are powerful enough to lift the weight of the quad. (about 2.5 lbs)

  2.  It is relatively stable and will hover.

  3.  It responds as expected to control inputs.


As you can see, the weight of the battery seems to be causing some instability.

I cleaned everything up a bit, used velcro straps to hold the ESCs in place, and zip-tied a few wires to keep them out of the props. I still need to come up with a good way to mount the battery.

Now that I have more time, the posts should be coming more frequently.

Have fun out there!


Modified Bike Project: Part 1 -- 1976 Cimmato City Bike

Adam Farris, owner and operator of O'Malleys Speed n Kustom, started out this project with a 1976 Cimmato City Bike powered by a Minarelli V1 engine.

The leaf springer fork was handmade, as well as gas tank which was formed on an English Wheel. For the rear section to get the proper stance for this bobber bike Adam is making an extended hard tail section.

The engine will be rebuilt using Boca Bearings cutting edge ceramic hybrid ball bearings to go with the Boca Bearings logo and a paint scheme that will be heavy metal flaked blues, blacks, and silvers.

Lincoln Electric welders and Lil Daddy Roth's Flake paint is being used for this project.

                  Stay tuned. Adam will have an update with the completed frame in early March.